No matter where you live or travel, it’s important to have the prescription drugs you need. To make this possible, your TRICARE pharmacy benefit is available worldwide. But abroad, your pharmacy options may vary.
“In some areas, you may have access to military pharmacies, TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery and retail chain pharmacies,” said Melanie Richardson, a pharmacist for the Defense Healthcare Agency’s Pharmacy Operations Division. “But sometimes non-chain pharmacies will be your only option for getting prescriptions abroad.”
Knowing about pharmacy options can help you choose an option that has lower costs. As described TRICARE Drug Program Handbookyour costs are based on the type of prescription you fill, your beneficiary status, and the category of prescription drug.
Whether you live abroad, or are planning to move or travel there, read on to find out more about taking advantage of your pharmacy benefits.
Where? US territories of Guam and Puerto Rico and certain countries outside the United States. Use the Find a Military Hospital or Clinic tool to see if there is a military pharmacy near you.
Amounts and costs. You can get most covered drugs for up to 90 days. You will have no out-of-pocket costs.
- Call the pharmacy to see if your prescription can be filled there. Some drugs are not available at military pharmacies.
- Your prescription must be from an authorized, licensed health care provider.
- Some military pharmacies only fill prescriptions from military suppliers.
- US territories, including APO and FPO addresses
- Abroad if you have an APO, FPO or DPO address
- Not available in Germany
Amounts and costs. You can get up to a 90-day supply of covered drugs with free standard shipping. There is no cost to Active Duty Members (ADSM). All other eligible beneficiaries pay home delivery co-payments.
- Prescriptions must be from a US licensed healthcare provider.
- Prescriptions that require refrigeration generally cannot be shipped to the US territories of American Samoa, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands or other foreign locations.
- You can manage your home delivery prescriptions online or through the Express Scripts Pharmacy mobile app.
Where? All US territories except American Samoa. Use the “Find a Pharmacy” tool to find a retail chain pharmacy near you.
Amounts and costs. You can get up to a 30-day supply of a covered drug for one co-pay or a 90-day supply for three co-pays. ADSMs pay nothing.
Additional information: If you are not an ADSM, you cannot refill certain maintenance drugs at retail chain pharmacies after two refills. If you live in the US or US territory, you must refill them via home delivery or at a military pharmacy after two refills.
Where? Available worldwide. All retail pharmacies in American Samoa and outside the US and other US territories are not chain pharmacies.
Costs: You will pay the full price for your prescription up front. You can then file a claim with International SOS, the TRICARE overseas contractor, for reimbursement. Reimbursements are subject to cost shares, copayments, deductibles, and other costs.
TRICARE does not cover over-the-counter (OTC) drugs in the US and outside US territories. This includes drugs that are OTC in the US that require a prescription in another country. Plan ahead. Before you travel, make sure you do the following:
- Fill any prescriptions you will need during your trip. Contact your doctor if you do not have a refill.
- Make sure you have enough of each medication for your entire trip. If you need extra medicine, you can request an early refill. If you live in the US, call Express Scripts. If you live in the US or abroad, call International SOS.
- And don’t forget, if you lose or forget your medication, you can call for help. Call Express Scripts if you live in the US or call International SOS if you live in the US or abroad. You may need to fill your prescription at a non-network pharmacy.
Learn more about filling prescriptions while traveling and getting care while traveling.
Need more information about the TRICARE drug program? Check it out TRICARE Drug Program Handbook.
Want the latest TRICARE news emailed to you? A visit TRICARE subscriptionsand create your personalized profile to receive benefits updates, news and more.
Image Source : newsroom.tricare.mil